The International Cruise Line Association (CLIA) is the body that regulates the Cruise Line industry and the travel agents selling those cruises.
About Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA)
The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) represents almost 95 percent of global cruise ship traffic, 50,000 travel agents members and 13,000 of the world's leading travel agencies.
CLIA 50+ Cruise Lines server more than 30 million passengers annually.
The organization's headquarters is in Washington DC, with regional offices in North America, South America, England, Europe, Asia and Australasia.
Additionally, the CLIA network has a large industry association with ports & destinations.
CLIA also works closely with the government and supports policies and practices that promote good, secure health of the Cruise and sustainable development.
What are the primary roles of the Cruise Lines International Association?
CLIA's mission is to promote policies & practices that foster a safe, secure and healthy cruise ship environment. The cruise industry trade association also provide a platform for any travel agent members to train, educated themself and keep up to date with the latest cruising trends.
Throughout its history, the world's largest cruise industry trade association has shown its commitment to furthering public health, safety, security, environmental responsibility, emergency medical response, supportive legislative initiative, passenger protection and crew care.
CLIA has acted as a pivotal association within the global cruise community to foster a safe, secure, healthy and sustainable cruise ship environment. And ultimately creating a better cruise experience for the passenger.
Some history about CLIA
The cruise industry trade association has been a leading authority in cruising since 1975 when it was founded in the US. The start of CLIA was in response to the need for an association providing a unified voice in promoting the benefit of cruising.
In 2006 CLIA merged with the International Council of Cruise Line (ICCL) under one structure. The ICCL was created to focus on the regulatory and policy development within the cruise industry.
How long is a CLIA membership valid for?
All travel agency members have to renew their CLIA membership every year. Each CLIA member will have to take an annual refresh course in order to keep their members status.
What are the different levels of certification within CLIA?
All CLIA members around the world have access to a three-level certification program.
- Introduction to cruise sale - This certification goes through the foundation of cruising and becoming a "new" cruise travel consultant.
- Ambassador - The next level will go into much more detail on the ports around the world, the destinations and cruise companies. The travel agent is now an effective cruise consultant.
- Master - This level is achieved by cruise travel agents that have shown their expertise as a cruise specialist and have travelled onboard cruise ships.
In short, what is CLIA
As per their website:
- CLIA is the global organization that fosters our members' success by advocating, educating and promoting the common interests of the cruise community.
- CLIA represents the interests of the cruise industry community.
- 50+ Cruise Lines – From ocean to speciality cruise ships, CLIA lines represent more than 95 per cent of global cruise capacity.
- 350+ Executive Partner Members – As key suppliers and partners to the cruise lines, executive partners play a major role in the successful operation of cruising, including ports & destinations, ship development, suppliers and business services.
- 13,000 Global Travel Agency and 50,000 Travel Agent Members – Our travel agency members include the largest agencies, hosts, franchises and consortia in the world.
- CLIA Cruise Lines serve nearly 30 million passengers annually.
Why is this important for you?
We at Hupla, are a proud member of CLIA and all our staff have ongoing training through CLIA to keep updated with the latest regulations and Cruise industry updates. Alex Schwager is a Master Cruise Consultant.
To verify any CLIA Travel agency, you need the CLIA industry ID#
CLIA the world's largest Cruise industry association
Being the largest cruise industry trade organisation, CLIA is providing a unified voice for the cruise line. Here is the list of the cruise lines associated with the Cruise Lines International Association:
- AIDA Cruises
- American Cruise Lines
- Carnival Cruise Line
- Celebrity Cruises
- Celestyal Cruises
- Costa Cruises
- Crystal Cruises
- Cunard Line
- Disney Cruise Line
- Holland America Line
- MSC Cruises - MSC Cruises Company Page
- Mystic Cruises
- Norwegian Cruise Line
- Oceania Cruises
- Pearl Seas Cruises
- Ponant Yacht Cruises & Expeditions
- Princess Cruises
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises
- Royal Caribbean International
- Scenic Luxury Cruises and Tours
- SeaDream Yacht Club
- Silversea Cruises
- Tui Cruises
- Virgin Voyages
- Windstar Cruises
- Fred Olsen
- Hapag Lloyd Cruises
- Marella Cruise
- P&O Cruise UK
- Sea Cloud Cruises
- Swan Hellenic
- Tradewind Voyages
- Aurora Expeditions
- Coral Expeditions
- Dream Cruises
- P&O Cruises Australia
- Paul Gauguin Cruises
- Star Cruises